Let’s talk about: Ghislaine Vinas – the queen of cool design!

Ghislaine vinas

Today on the blog I’m talking about a great designer, an icon (but still very much alive) and undeniably the queen of cool design. Ghislaine Vinas is an American based interior designer, but  was actually born in Holland. She moved to the United States to study an Interior Architecture in Philadelphia. After graduation she moved to the New York City and that’s where she established her interior design studio Ghislaine Vinas Interior Design in 1999. Since then Ghislaine and her team completed many residential and commercial projects not only in New York, but all over the world.

As she admits: “We don’t do beiges, or neutrals or traditional interiors – clients must be willing to have some fun, and be able to identify from my portfolio that this is a direction they are comfortable taking.”

And oh boy, what fun interiors she creates! Just take a look at some of her biggest projects. Many of them completed years ago but still so relevant and on trend now!

Living in a townhouse? Here’s how Ghislaine Vinas designed this Warren St. Townhouse in New York City. Even if your personal style is completely different, you just can’t not like this place. So fun, so fresh, so cool!

ghislaine vinas

ghislaine vinas

Want sheep in your living room? Not a problem! Ask Ghislaine Vinas to design your space!

Ghislaine explains that she loves colour because it brings her happiness. “I have a hard time understanding why people are so afraid of colour. Colour is not for everyone, but if you are drawn to colour then ask yourself what you are so scared of. I think it’s more of an attitude and that people need to relax a bit more and have more fun. I do think colour needs to be used carefully, though, because if it’s not used well it can look really garish. Maybe start with pillows in a colour that you love or a pattern that you love and know that you can change them out”.

Fancy a slide in your apartment? If it’s big enough and if you’ll hire Ghislaine as your interior designer then you can most definitely expect it to be a feature of your living room! Check out this Skyhouse she designed for a family in the New York City.

Or this cool project: Montauk Beach House. I can easily see myself living in there… obviously if I wasn’t all about the budget girl!

I brought a watermelon!!!

Isn’t this just the best interpretation of botanical trend? Not to mention it was designed way before the trend emerged!

Ghislaine Vinas Interior Design’s projects has been featured in countless magazines and won many awards

Back in 1999 Ghislaine was working on her own from her home in New York. Today she’s got a team of six people (including her partner) working in her apartment too! You have to love that attitude!

And if all that wasn’t enough, she’s now got her own wallpapers collection. And she designs other products too, just check out her website to see more!

*all photos taken from official GV website

Like discovering and reading about great designers? Go to my post here to find out more about Charles and Ray Eames.

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

JENNY KAKOUDAKIS
    September 26, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Ok, let’s admit it, her clients are already people who embrace ECLECTIC CHIC, right? I mean her designs REALLY push the envelope. Loved the green armchairs and swear I saw similar at Decorex last week?

verymeinteriors
      September 26, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Yes, her clients are not just off the streets, that’s for sure 😂😂 And I honestly love every single piece and that green chair is just stunning.

Fiona
    September 26, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Absolutely love her style. Her use of colour and sense of fun is so inspirational!

verymeinteriors
      September 26, 2017 at 9:56 pm

It is, isn’t it? She’s just a damn good designer 😉

Donna
    September 25, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Wow! I love how quirky and colourful each room is. I adore the surf bedroom, so much fun. Although I’m probably not so brave to be so colourful I’m def not on the neutral end of the spectrum either. Inspiring read! Thanks x

verymeinteriors
      September 25, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Thank you. Yes, she likes to go crazy with colours in her designs but it just works. I love it all!

jade wilce
    September 25, 2017 at 7:32 pm

WOW, if space, money and time were no option I would love my home to look like this! 🙂 Alas, i have neither of those, but I love taking inspiration from the professionals and taking some tips into my own home! this all looks so achievable on a high street budget! Thank you for sharing such an inspiration!

verymeinteriors
      September 25, 2017 at 7:40 pm

My pleasure lovely 😉 And the same here, if only money and space allowed to have that slide…

Juan Sandiego
    September 25, 2017 at 11:45 am

These interiors are definitely a whole different level. And I like how she had developed a distinctive style, and that’s exactly what her customers want. Not a designed space, but a Ghislaine space.

verymeinteriors
      September 25, 2017 at 11:54 am

Yes, I agree… and I love how you just called them… Ghislaine space 😁 She’s definitely different, that’s for sure! And I’m absolutely blown away by her creativity. Hers and Sophie Robinson’s designs were the reasons for me to try and experiment with colours in my house 😁

Caroline
    August 17, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Just wow! I love this post so much, the living room sheep are genius and obviously I need a slide now. I feel like the feather lampshade would be a great DIY project too.

verymeinteriors
      August 17, 2017 at 5:05 pm

I know! You just can’t not love it all. And that slide💕

Donna Marshall-Marks
    August 17, 2017 at 7:02 am

Very inspirational – love the pineapple wallpaper x

verymeinteriors
      August 17, 2017 at 7:09 am

It’s beautiful, isn’t it? I absolutely love all of her designs.